- 1 pound fresh strawberries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Wooden skewers
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Wash the strawberries and pat them dry. Remove the stems and cut them into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the cold butter cubes to the dry mixture. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the milk and vanilla extract. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Preheat a grill or griddle to medium heat.
- Take a small handful of the dough and shape it into a ball. Press a wooden skewer into the center of the dough ball, leaving about 2 inches of the skewer exposed. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Place the dough skewers on the preheated grill or griddle and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Flip the skewers carefully using tongs.
- Remove the cooked dough skewers from the grill or griddle and let them cool slightly.
- To assemble the strawberry shortcake on a stick, alternate threading pieces of strawberry and cooked dough onto the skewers. Start and end with a strawberry piece.
- Serve the strawberry shortcake on a stick with a dollop of whipped cream on top.
- Enjoy these delightful and portable strawberry shortcakes as a fun and tasty treat for any summer gathering or outdoor event.
Note: You can customize this recipe by adding a drizzle of chocolate sauce or a sprinkle of powdered sugar over the assembled strawberry shortcake skewers for added flavor and presentation.